Thursday, September 10, 2009

Life in the Missionary Training Center

Narrated by Cali

Okay so I realize that it's been a decade since I was a new missionary at the MTC, and as such, you would think that things had changed. But the pictures that Cody sent home today seem to support exactly what I remember about the place and the life at the MTC. I know many of you have been there and had these experiences, but for those who haven't, here's a little taste of what it's like. (And yes, I liberally interjected my own experiences and opinions because Cody didn't provide any sort of label or identification for any of these pictures, so I basically had to guess!)

You live in a dorm, sharing a room with three other missionaries.

It's really kind of a picturesque place. Like a tiny college campus only a lot more isolated from the outside world. It was always funny to me to think that "The Compound" (as we always referred to it) actually shares a part of the BYU campus. But you're so separated from the University you don't even realize how close the students actually are.


Most of your time in the MTC is spent in class. Literally 8-10 hours a day sitting in a classroom.

And when you're not in class, you're walking to the cafeteria.

And then back to class.




What do spend all your time in class learning you ask? Well I know it's probably different now, but for me it included language training (which of course Cody didn't have) but also a lot of scripture and doctrinal study as well as role-playing proselyting situations.

Your teachers are all BYU students who have returned from missions themselves in recent years.

Honestly some of these kids teaching look so young that about the only way to identify them as staff rather than fellow missionaries is by the white tags they wear.



(It was a sad realization the day I discovered that at least one of my MTC instructors was younger than I was. And he was already married and expecting a child at the time.)


And in the evenings, after class (or on Tuesday nights, after Devotional) you're given just enough time to clean up, write a letter or two home, write in your journal, have district prayer and do any outside work your teachers may have assigned. (Although, in most cases the teachers were usually kind enough not to assign much outside of the classroom.)






WOW!!!!! And I thought we totally spoiled Cody, but this kid has twice the contraband we sent our baby brother. Easily!
Wouldn't it be cool to have a Polynesian companion and learn some great native dance!

You just never know what might go in the MTC dorms at night...It can be an interesting place once you factor in all the pent up energy of a room full of 19 year old boys who've done nothing but sit all day!



Thank you Wal-Mart for granting unto us "Justice League" pj pants, without which we may never have seen Cody as a Rockette! (Point those toes boys!)


Once a week they release you from the compound. It's a mass exodous of missionaries.

All the way across the street to the Temple! (I don't know what day of the week Cody's District had their Temple Day, but when I was at the MTC they assigned you to do either Friday or Saturday. So it was always packed with missionaries. Half the MTC one day, half the other!)




What temple trip is complete without photographic evidence that you were there?



Once or twice a week you get physical activity time. They have a big indoor gym with basketball, volleyball and a running track. There's even a small weight room and a few cardio machines upstairs. And if you're lucky and the weather is nice, the outdoor field will be open for outdoor sports and fun. (They even have croquet!)

Ummm......I'm confused!


And of course once a week you also get to dress in civilian clothes and do your laundry. That was always exciting. (You never realize how much you miss blue jeans until you're stuck in a dress, or in Cody's case a suit, all day long. But I digress!) Except that I remember having to get up extra early, so you could be at the laundry room by 7:00am in order to get the nicest machines. But I'll bet they've replaced them since then.


And you eventually start carrying your camera everywhere and start taking pictures of interesting stuff to send to the folks back home.

How many millions of pictures of this sign do you suppose there are floating around in the world? (I know I have at least five. One of my own and in a box somewhere, three from various guys I dated & one from Kyle Taylor. All of us standing, in our own moment by this same sign. As if there were ever any doubt where we were.)



I don't know if they had this sculpture there 10 years ago. Hmm...Maybe I was just oblivious to it.

And naturally you have to include the obligatory pictures of your district.

After a while you just give up on trying to take serious pictures and just start snapping shots of anything and everything.

Like your companion in a cheesecake pose on a fountain.

Or taking pictures of other missionaries taking pictures. (Those are always very popular.)


Or even getting comfy with a tree. (I'm really not sure I understand this one. I'm tempted to write Cody and ask for an explanation.)

Yes, it can all get quite tedious after a while. Day in and day out the same old thing.

(Cami, I'm sure this photo was meant for you!) Ah, don't take it so hard baby brother! At least you only had to be there for three weeks. Imagine how bad it got for those of us who spent two full months there!

As a post script, you should know that Cody did make it safely to the mission field. He's serving in the 29 Palms area. He does have a bike, but he's in a car at the moment. (Spoiled!) His companion is an Elder Potter from Logan. (We don't know yet if his first name is Harry or not.) But we do know that they cover two wards, one of which is a Samoan ward. Hopefully he's well fed!

4 comments:

Jacob and Cami said...

Thanks for keeping us posted Cali. It seems weird that our baby bro is a missionary. I mean I knew he was, but seeing him with his name tag makes it real.

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

I can't believe how late you stayed up after I left to post these! Thanks... And Yes... Seeing him in the name tag made it more real.

Kelly and Jesse said...

That picture with the tree looks very familiar if you just substitute Cody for a cute girl in a wedding dress. I'm glad that he is having fun. I can't wait to see pictures of the mission field.

Hillary and Jake said...

How wierd is it to see him in an actual name tag. I first saw it a freaked out a little