Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Fitting Tribute

Yesterday at the Madison Invitational Wrestling tournament, I sat at the scorer's table with some of Cody's former teammates. During one break in the action I was visiting with Jake Wade, Ty & Tavin Wilson & Jake Bochenek. We were talking shop and discussing different things the team needs this year when Bochenek started doodling. Pretty soon we saw a very muscular wrestler emerge, I asked him if that was a self-portrait, but then he surprised me by writing the name "Darryl Cunningham" across the top. He'd drawn this interpretation of Cody.


I was even more touched when he started turning super wrestler Cody into super missionary Cody. We all got a good laugh out of it, but I still think it was a fitting tribute.
Perhaps even more fitting is that he drew directly on the table. (Probably not the most mature thing to do, but oh well.) So when he went to clean it off, it didn't come up completely. There's still the faintest image of a wreslter/missionary on that table. We dubbed it the "ghost of Cody." So now he gets to be there, watching over the wrestlers at all future meets and tournaments.

1 comment:

Darryl and Cindy Cunningham said...

I love those boys!! Jake is such a good boy.